Stonebrook Parkway Construction Update – March 4, 2014
The city’s contractor has completed about 80 percent of the project. Officials anticipate that all work will be done by the end of September 2014, with some final punch list and cleanup items extending into October.
Construction began in September 2012 and proceeded at an aggressive pace. A large portion of the overall project was accomplished in the first nine months, primarily the installation of a water transmission main and paving between Parkwood and Preston. As work continued between Parkwood and the Dallas North Tollway during the summer of 2013, the city’s contractor repeatedly encountered conflicts with buried franchise utilities. This led to intermittent progress by the city’s contractor and relocation efforts by franchises to clear the project.
A significant amount of utility relocation work remains to be done west of Parkwood. This relocation work must be done before the city’s contractor can complete their work. City staff communicates daily with the utility companies, and based on information received, the best estimate for final clearance is the end of April 2014. The primary reason for the delay is the high demand for utility work on a region-wide basis. The city’s best estimate for road work completion west of Parkwood is the end of September 2014.
For the area between Parkwood and Preston, the majority of the paving work has been completed since the summer of 2013. The inside lanes have remained closed, and the active work zone has remained in place to provide for the construction of turn lanes, medians, roadway lighting and sidewalks. Work remaining at the intersection of Preston and Stonebrook includes the addition of lanes and changes to the traffic signal system.
The contract for the project extends to January 2015, but work on the entire effort is expected to be completed by the end of September 2014.
Section 1 (Intersection of Stonebrook and Preston)
Work remaining includes turn lanes, median construction, roadway lighting and traffic signals. Estimated completion time of all work in this section is the end of September 2014.
Section 2 (Preston to Parkwood)
Work remaining includes roadway lighting, traffic signal system, sidewalks, turn lanes, median openings and brick pavers in median. Estimated completion time of all work in this section is the end of September 2014.
Section 3 (Parkwood to DNT)
The intersection of Parkwood and Stonebrook will be fully opened in all directions by the end of March 2014. This will allow traffic to enter and exit the intersection without switching sides of the road.
Relocation efforts by franchise utilities are ongoing (gas, electric and telecommunication). The anticipated completion time of this effort is the end of April 2014. Utility relocations must be complete before the city’s contractor can complete work in this section. Provided that franchise utilities are clear by end of April, the city’s contractor will complete paving by the end of September 2014.
Section 4 (West of DNT)
Relocation effort by franchise utilities is ongoing (gas, electric, and telecom). The anticipated completion time of this effort is the end of April 2014. Utility relocations must be complete before the city’s contractor can complete work in this section. Provided that franchise utilities are clear by end of April, the city’s contractor will complete paving by end of September 2014.
Improvements that will be permanently in place when the project is completed:
1. A 36 inch diameter water transmission pipeline to supply water to the growing west side of Frisco.
2. Three lanes in each direction on Stonebrook between Preston and the DNT, much of which replaced pavement that was in poor condition.
3. A fully built-out intersection at DNT and Stonebrook, including full use of the bridge over the main lanes of DNT.
4. Improved intersection capacity at Stonebrook and Preston.
5. Improved intersection capacity at Stonebrook and Parkwood.
6. Roadway lighting along length of Stonebrook (DNT to Preston).
7. Completed sidewalk along north side of Stonebrook.
8. This project will be completed in time to receive traffic from the Stonebrook connection that is under construction west of the DNT and due for opening in early 2015. When both of these projects are opened, they will provide a continuous east-west route through Frisco, similar to Main Street and Eldorado Parkway.