Driving Safety Course
Driving Safety Course
If you are charged with a driving offense, you may be eligible to take an approved driving safety course. If approved, the citation will be dismissed upon satisfactory completion of all conditions imposed.
Do not take a driving safety course without first obtaining permission from the court.
To Be Eligible
To be eligible to take a driving safety course for ticket dismissal, you must:
- Make your request on or before the appearance date on your citation in person or in writing by certified mail. You are required to complete and submit a Request to Take Driver Safety Course form before your request will be considered
- Enter a plea of No Contest or Guilty
- Have a valid Texas Driver's license or permit
- Have proof of financial responsibility (insurance)
- Not have taken a driving safety course for ticket dismissal within the past 12 months prior to the date of your citation. You will be required to sign a legal affidavit stating you are in compliance with this condition
- Pay $134 ($159 for school zone offenses) for violations occurring on or after 9/1/2019 to 12/31/2019 OR Pay $144 ($169 for school zone offenses) for violations occurring on or after 1/1/2020 which includes state court costs and administrative fees. This amount is subject to change according to state law. Whatever amount is in effect at the time will apply.
When You Are Not Eligible
You are not eligible to take a driving safety course for ticket dismissal if:
- You hold a commercial driver's license.
- You were charged with speeding 25 miles or more over the speed limit.
- You were charged with a violating one of the following sections of the Transportation Code (TRC) of the State of Texas:
- TRC Section 472.022 - Construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present
- TRC Section 545.066 - Passing a school bus
- TRC Section 545.401 - Reckless driving
- TRC Section 545.421 - Fleeing or attempting to elude police officers
- TRC Section 550.022 - Accident involving damage to a vehicle
- TRC Section 550.023 - Duty to give information and render aid
- TRC Section 522.003 - Serious traffic violations
Requesting a Driving Safety Course
- You may request driver's safety in person on or before your first court appearance at the Court Clerk's Office
- To request a driver's safety course by mail, complete and following the instructions on the Sworn Request for Driver Safety Course (PDF)
- All request must be made in person or postmarked timely on or before your first court appearance date, which is 20 business days from the issuance of the citation
After Obtaining Approval & Paying Fees
Once you have obtained approval from the court and paid your fees, you must:
- Take a state-approved driving safety course and return all documentation listed below within 90 days.
- Obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety in Austin. The Application for Copy of Driver Record is available at Texas DPS Online and at the Frisco Municipal Court offices
- Submit both of the following to the court by your 90-day deadline:
- A certificate of completion from a state-approved driving safety course
- A certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety
No extensions will be given.
Where You Can Take a Driving Safety Course
The driving safety course must be approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulations (TDLR). Court personnel cannot recommend a driving safety school. The yellow pages of your local phone directory usually contain a list of state-approved driving safety schools. There are also courses available online. You can find more information about Driving Safety Courses through the TDLR's Website.